3 Beginnings for the new year
- I introduced the use of several various mini-activities from Key Curriculum Press books – Logic Links for Geometry, Mathercise on patterns/reasoning for Alg. 2, Honors Alg. 2, Coll. Alg., Pre-Calc.
- I start each class with prayer and am re-visiting a practice of several years ago by praying for one specific student each day. I started this past Monday. A way to build relationships.
- First units in 2 classes are done except for the tests on Monday. The grading begins. (And the boys first soccer match is on Mon.)
2 Uses of Desmos:
- I really wanted to use the Desmos Central Park activity with a class. Since I have a small Algebra 2 class, I knew both the timing and the few library computers down the hallway would work. Although we only had about 20 minutes, a couple of pairings made it through the activity with figuring out the algebraic expressions and enjoyed doing it!
- The Calculus students had a mini project to chose 3 functions to describe themselves. In class I introduced the Desmos graphing site and how to do a screen clipping as an alternative in graphing by hand. Some did use the site for their project. A good start. I want them to get more and more comfortable with the site and the use in reports.
- I was hoping to do a card sort activity of my new cards that I made this summer, but that will have to wait for this new week.